View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

I can understand the playing time issue somewhat, even in high tournaments. I think most coaches, in a perfect world, where they could guarantee 100% perfect attendance and no injuries EVER, would likely like to have exactly 9 players... possibly 10 for a speedster CR/defensive replacement.

Since they cannot guarantee that, they need 12 or 13 on the team. And since most of these players pay to be on that team - parents have a reasonable expectation that their kid will see real action and improve over time - and that applies to the 12th and 13th best kids on the team as well.

It's different at the college level - those players are not paying to play - they aren't there sponsored by paying parents... they are "paid" by being able to go to school for free (or at least cheaper). The participation issue is not a deal there.

I see no reason ASA would be worse if they simply allowed 12 to bat with free substitution on defense. I'm not sure I completely understand why anyone would be against that, even umpires, even traditionalists. There's no downside to allowing consistent 12 to play at both pool and NC levels.

West Houston Mike