View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
At a National Tournament there is some room to debate. My personal experience is that a lot of places (state tournaments, state championships, different parks) "play by ASA rules" for tournaments and we all know they can add "local" rules but they chose not to. I know from my personal experience talking to coaches there is a movement to other rule sets based on the fact that ASA doesn't let them do free subs and the others do. It allows them to keep mom, dad and little susie happy by making it onto the field and getting some play time at that state, or even national championship. Again it might just be pool play but little susie got to play. Might be stupid but it is a virtually meaningless change that might keep some teams playing ASA ball.

And if little susie is on the team, why wouldn't she get some time without there being a rule?

Tell you what, let's play everybody, not keep score and give everyone a trophy? Don't buy into the participation mentality in championship play. This is a change that, IMO, is an out for weak coaches. But like I said, just my opinion.