View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 05:27pm
In Time Out

Well, since you asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
What are you?

I picture you as a tough-writin' Texan (congratulations, by the way), with all kinds of courage ... for writing critical comments on a message forum. Face-to-face, the courage melts away.

Little people like you, making fun of imagining that others are even littler, well, you are a lot of fun.
Calm down, Charlie Sheen. Nobody took your watch.

I going to be upfront and honest with you. I played in what is now known as Division I (FCS) football at TCU in the old Southwest Conference. I was a starting defensive back my last three years, primarily as a strong safety. I was talked into to going there by a chap named Bob Lilly. Mr. Lilly had played there in the late 50s with the older brother of my best friend in school and today, which is where I had become acquainted with Mr. Lilly in my formative years.

I went head to head against Heisman Trophy winner, Earl Campbell for three years, and I pretty much held my own against the roughest, toughest son of gun I have ever encountered on the gridiron, or anywhere else for that matter.

As a point of fact, I do sit tall in the saddle (Have you even be around a horse?). Therefore, I'm not quite the little person you envision. I now play softball on a team that won the AAA 50 and over National title, where I hit fifth in the lineup and play SS and 3B. I can take it over a 300 ft. fence on occasion.

I've only been in one fisticuff altercation, expert with my older brothers who matriculated to SMU and Texas on football scholarships and they really didn't swing back. It occurred several years ago when my girlfriend (and late wife) and I had gone out dancing for the evening. A guy that was extremely inebriated thought it perfectly alright to walk by and grab her on the butt. After about three failed polite attempts to try and get him to cease such activities, he became belligerent, swung and hit me in the face. Needless to say, I became very agitated, swung and hit him in the mouth. After the fracas was over, I was the one that had to go to the hospital. However, it was only to get one of his front teeth removed from my hand that was embedded in it. Where the other chap went, I don't know.

I don't know if you have been paying close attention, but I have never replied to any poster that knows how to be civil in any critical fashion. I've only done that to the ones that answer in the same critical manner to others, myself included. I'm always amazed that these same posters want to play the part of a martyr when the situation backfires in their face. They have mastered the art of pushing, they just don't understand the concept of pushing back.

Anyway, enough about myself. I very much don't like bragging about my past accomplishments, because there are many others that in the past that have achieved as much, and in most cases more than I. In fact, there are many other individuals that will also do so in the future. Besides, I don't have much of an affinity for blowhards, and I don't wish to become one myself.

In closing, Kevin have a great day and may the upcoming holiday season be special for you and your family. Like Jim Rome says, "I'm outta here".

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 05:43pm.