View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 07:06pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not sure what you are saying "nope" to, because your system is still not like the system that many (not all) work in. I do not get any games from an association. I get games only from assignors. I get games from places where the assignor belongs to a completely different area or association than where I am located. And the assignor that gives high school games does not refer to the guy that assigns JH games.
"Nope" was supposed to mean "No, the system I work in is not like the system you work in." My apologies, I should've phrased it more clearly.

Quote:
Good for you. But I work for about 12 different people and one does not care what the other one is doing. And when playoffs and other considerations are being made, I am not working a JH game (even in my back yard) and turn away the college game even with the travel. Not going to happen. The only thing I will not do is take a game at one level and then take another game at that same level. My goals are not to work the Men's league championship game so all levels have different priorities.
True enough, one assigner doesn't care what the other one is doing. And there's some games that I'd definitely prefer to work over others (I'd rather work a high school game then a rec league game, and I'm sure most everyone here feels the same way). Thing is, if assigner A gets me a game on Thursday night, and assigner B calls me 2 days later with a game on the same Thursday night, I don't feel that it would be right for me to accept the game from assigner B and then have to turn around to assigner A and say "sorry, something's come up, I can't do that game on Thursday". If I do that too many times, pretty soon I'm not going to get calls from assigner A anymore. Better to tell assigner B "Sorry, I'd love to do the game(s), but I'm already booked on Thursday."

Luckily, it works out without too much problem, because there's very little non-varsity high school or junior high games on weekends. My travel team assigner primarily does weekend tournaments, and my rec league assigner does almost exclusively evening games (after non-varsity high school games are finished) or weekends.

Quote:
You say that this is your second year, you will learn soon enough.
That's the plan. I'm still in the "get as much game experience as possible" mode. I'm sure that in a few years, I'll be as jaded and devoid of my idealism as the rest of you.