View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
First college game ever. Here's the sitch:

Pre-Game:
Our Chief states that he is not interested in setting precedent on any elbow swings. U1 and I suggest that if the situation arises, we should get together and discuss just in case someone has additional information.

Game:
During first half, guard #23 who is having a good start is now being tightly guarded on the wing. #23 fakes right then spins and hits the defender in the face with elbow. Defense goes down. Call is made by U1. The officials come together and the calling official wants to go intentional. CC comes in and tries to talk partner out of the IF. At halftime the CC states that they did not want the U1 to rule IF.

A little background. There have been issues with the CC in the past, but they get a smoking schedule and they have the ears of the assignor. The person is part of a group that has gotten officials run off, so it is not easy dealing with this person. I feel bad for U1 on this one.

A couple of questions:
1) What do you think of the call?
2) What do you think of the way things transpired?
3) What would you do?
Was it a swinging elbow or a stationary elbow? If it was a swinging elbow and the contact was above the defenders shoulders and a foul was called it must me at least an intentional foul by rule...you may upgrade to a flagrant if need be.