View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 30, 2010, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

What About...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not so sure that what my state does is so different from the "norm." You assume that every state follows the NF to the letter on many things. If I have learned anything from this board I have learned that a lot of areas do things contrary to the NF Mechanics. If that was not the case then we would only see black and white shirts (from NF members) and always see consistent mechanics. At this point we do not see that consistently.

I have said that it looks stupid to have the lead call a closely guarded play in the area. For one the player likely is not going to be in that area very long. Also the player likely did not start in that area either. And I would not like to see a Lead be so focused on the ball when other things are going on there. If you disagree that is OK, but to just blindly say that is the way it should be done is ridiculous. There are a lot of things the NF does that everyone does not agree with. This was not the case until Mary Struckoff tried to implement the NCAA-W philosophy into the high school game. That might work in that game but does not work as well in my opinion at the high school level when the rules are not the same.

Peace
The defense is in a 2-3 zone and the ball is dumped into the low post area below the Free Throw line extended, clearly in the Lead's primary. The defense traps and the Lead isn't going to begin a closely guarded count? I respect your opinion, but really all the arguments one makes against the Lead not having a closely guarded count can be made for the C and T. The C and T can get straight lined just as easy. They can move to get an angle, but so can Lead. If the C and T continue their count, they may miss something else going on in their area just like the Lead. Really all the arguments against the Lead having this call can be made against the C and T. When the C and T begin a closely guarded count and the play moves out of their area they keep the count and the other officials should extend their coverage area to help out on this play so they don't miss something. The same should be true for the L.