View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

If some took my post wrong, for that I will apologize. I was trying to pass along information so opinions could be formed based upon information rather than speculation. Making a judgment or decision requires information gathering as my old mentor said time & time again. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

To answer a very well put question; there is nothing in writing in the WOA bylaws or constitution about the color of the whistle nor is the NFHS Officials Manual. Todd as WOA Commissioner made an interpretation that approved color was black prior to this entire happening. If you want to read the WOA bylaws etc go to Washington Officials Association

Another thought is if the association had followed the interpretation of the WOA this would not have happened either. They could have donated money to breast cancer and made stadium announcements and not worn the pink whistles at all. The next season work with WOA get approval from the WOA executive board as needed for uniform exceptions per the bylaws.

For all officials - if your commissioner made a ruling similar to Todd's would you knowingly violate their ruling? If you did would there be consequences? These questions are rhetorical and for thought only. For myself as someone here in the state the crux of the issue is an association knowingly & willfully violated their state commissioner. This is much like a divorce; both sides have culpability in this situation. Neither party has 100% clean hands.

The issue is at rest for now and will be discussed at length next year.

To answer a personal question - no I do not have an uncle in Piedmont CA