View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
oopsie! Now ya gotta spill the beans...wha happened???

Originally posted by JR
"Whoop-de-damn-do",in the words of that immortal philosopher-Derek Coleman.It's nice to try to be perfect,but you ain't gonna make it
I know I'm not perfect, but this was really totally my fault and only happened b/c I made another mistake previous to it. Sigh.

A1 is dribbling upcourt. As A1 steps over midcourt, he brings his non-dribbling hand up towards the ball to catch the ball and then pass. Well, he changes his mind at the last instant, and continues his dribble. I, however, expected him to end the dribble and blew the whistle, intending to call a double dribble. Screw-up #1.

Ok, ok. Inadvertant whistle. Horn sounds. My bad, everybody. Team B sub runs on. Sorry. Blue ball. Trying to hide my screw-up #1, I quickly hand the ball to A1 who inbounds it, when half the gym starts yelling "They've got six!!" Screw-up #2.

My partner and I felt we had no choice but to issue the T. If we hadn't, we would have just compounded the situation into something even worse! The ONLY saving grace is that my mistake didn't affect the outcome of the game. I do not generally curse, but our post-game evaluation was not printable.

The Team B coach proved himself to be a class act. He asked me about whether the sub had been waved in (he had been), but then let it go. After the game, I saw him on the way out of the locker room and told him exactly what I've just written. He accepted it graciously. It probably helped that his team won the game, but he still could've been a jerk about it.

Chuck