Thread: New one for me
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdow View Post
Well, it was a hotly contested battle between rival cities. A USC called, a few late hits, lots of turnovers, and many close calls. The game ended with a 7 point differential. The crew did admirably but the coaches and fans were all over us. (nothing new so far)

On our run to the car after the game, after passing through the ever-watchful police officers, a couple of parents exclaimed to me that I was not able to call a good game because of the color of my skin. I dutifully climbed into my car and drove away.

It just emphasized to me that some of the same people who don't know the rules of the game, also do not know the rules of life. Did I feel threatened? yes. Will I quit officiating? Not a chance!! Not the first time in my life that I have encountered racism (don't get me started on slander of my religion) and it won't be the last.

Just remember guys, people don't know the rules in football or the game of life either! Be the bigger man, keep your composure, and do the right thing in your job, in the refereeing, in life!
Was this a varsity game? You don't have a locker room...if you felt it was a hotly contested battle why not ask at half time to have a police escot to your vehicles?