View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

In all the clinics I've attended regarding 2 Person mechanics,
the PU's responsibility on a DP is to look for the FPSR.
And my association teaches the same thing, Pete.
However, you seem to misunderstand that to mean that the BU should not make a call if he sees the infraction.

So, Pete..........
you are the BU and there's a FPSR play in a Fed game, and because of the violation F6 does not even make a throw to 1B.
  • Do you make that call, Pete,
    or do you wait for the PU to make that call since your association teaches that it's the PU's responsibility to look for the FPSR violation?
  • If you make the call, how is that any different than if
    you see the violation before F6 makes a throw yet F6 continues and makes the throw?

My association does not state that a BU should not make this call when he's typically 15-20 ft. away, looking right into the play as a FPSR violation occurs, and sees the violation before any throw to 1B is underway. If BU makes that call, he need not even make a call at 1B (no need to turn with the ball should there be a throw) since the FPSR call kills the play.

So, Pete, while the plate ump can make this call from 100 ft. away, it can still be made by the base ump who sees it from 20 ft. away. In fact, the offensive coach will provide far less grief when the base ump staring directly into the play makes the call vs. the plate ump making the call.

Freix