View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

My crew has been wearing pink whistles for all games in October. Last year we had some wristbands that were pink as well for our first round playoff game as that was in October as well.

The best part of that playoff game was that we had a few women came up to us immediately after the game and want to have the pink wristbands and we gave them to them. They reason were cancer survivors and they wanted something that showed they survived this disease with these symbols. I was skeptical about wearing the wristbands before the game until that very moment. Considering that these were African-American Women and my aunt in 2001 died from this disease that made me very happy considering that African-American women die more than the vast public that is diagnosed with breast cancer. These symbols are about awareness of the disease and proceeds to research to that disease. We did not make a big issue of wearing them or even have it announced. Someone noticed and they wanted to be apart of that.

And at the end of the day it shows that we are human beings inside our stripes no matter how we do our job.

Peace