View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 20, 2010, 07:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Tonight in Wisconsin we kick off week #9 of our high school football season...this is the last week of the regular season. Games are played today and tomorrow and the playoffs kickoff next Tuesday. Our state championship games must be done by the start of "HUNTING SEASON!" Hunting season starts Nov 20th. Where did the season go? It seems like it goes from week #1 to #5 to #9 and it is all over.
I know. We have a game tonight and a game for a conference championship tomorrow night. Then our one playoff game and we're done.

I've followed along with the scheduling fiasco as it unfolded this fall, and it's the sanctity of hunting season that drives me crazy. By then, even if you extended the season by 2 weeks, only 28 schools would still be alive anyway. And championship games the week of or the week after Thanksgiving wouldn't be terrible. Move basketball season back a couple of weeks and move baseball season back too, as they should've done up here years ago.

Growing up back east, my school played 11 football games in the regular season. To be fair, we *had* no postseason until my senior year when they added a district championship game. I think now that they have state playoffs in place, they play a 10-game regular season.