Thread: visible counts
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 10:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
I'm sure you're right. just thinking with the young kids i'm involved with so far,the visible counts seem to spur them into action on the realization their time is limited. in our league we also give a lot of audble warmings ahead of time, especially with the k-2 and 3-4, 5-6 youngsters.
If they violate, call the violation. Do you warn them when they clearly violate other rules like traveling or going out of bounds? And it is improper by rule to give an audible count. Might be acceptable at that league, but not at other levels or in the rules. If you are going to give them a warning, just tell them something that gets them out of the lane. Often this is such a subjective violation anyway as players go in and out of the lane so quickly and most people do not understand the rule that I do not see why you would worry about this that much. Newer officials tend to call a lot of these early in their careers and call fewer as time goes on. Just like anything until you understand the rule and understand the judgment that is involved do not worry that much about it.

Peace