View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 13, 2010, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

2008 rules book POE

A shift occurs whenever the offensive team breaks the huddle and assumes a pre-snap
position; when linemen or backs move from an upright position to a position with hands on
knees or thighs; when linemen or backs move from a position with hands on knees or
thighs to a three- or four-point down position; when a player who is positioned on the end
of the line moves along the line or to a position in the backfield; when a backfield player
moves from one position in the backfield to another or moves from a position in the backfield
to a position on the line; and when the quarterback moves from an upright position to
a position with hands under the snapper. If the quarterback were to shift in this manner
while another player is moving, a foul for illegal motion occurs if the ball were to be
snapped before both players had stopped and were motionless for at least one second prior
to the snap.
All shifts must be done in a manner that does not simulate action at the snap. Remember,
no shift is illegal unless all offensive players fail to be simultaneously stationary as required
for at least one full second prior to the snap. The manner in which players shift can be false
starts, but it cannot be an illegal shift.

7.1.7 SITUATION B: On fourth and four from A's 35-yard line, K comes to the
line in a scrimmage formation. After calling a few signals, A1 says "shift." All 11
players then make a movement. Some players move to a new position for a
scrimmage-kick formation, while four interior linemen remain in place and move
from a hands-on-thighs position to an upright position and finally to a three-point
stance. RULING: This could be ruled a false start if the covering official(s) determine
that it was designed to cause B to encroach. In judging the offensive team's
intent, the officials should consider whether players move to a new position, the
speed and abruptness of movement, down and distance and if any player pretends
to have the ball or otherwise simulate action at the snap with the start of a
play. (7-1-7; 7-2-6)

Last edited by bigjohn; Wed Oct 13, 2010 at 06:55pm.