View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 13, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
well I can tell you what I do. I tell any player that asks whether they are on/over or off of the line. I wasn't at the game, but I know about the play. I am not at liberty to discuss it publicly, but I can say that the DB didn't use all of the information he could have had at his disposal...
I agree. I just know that in that situation... for me to throw that flag would be awful tough. I know i'm gonna hear the "you aren't there to make rules" etc... "you are there to enforce them" But to walk off the field knowing that I called a penalty that could have been avoided would be awful rough.

It's the same thing as holding... Honestly, it could be called on EVERY play. But we use our judgement. Did it affect the play? Did the player make an effort to get away or did he just stand there and get held and expect me to throw a penalty etc... Decisions, decisions.

Either way, it was a great game and it was unfortunate how it ended. It's a game of inches and there were several oppoetunities for both teams to put away the other. The home team made one more play than the visitors.