View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 03:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SMcQueen
I would say that if the ball is still above the rim when B1 steps in, A1 gets another attempt with resumtion of play. A1's shot, could (devine intervention) still hit the rim, don't guess! If A1's shot has passed the rim and B1 enters the lane then A1 has violated and B gets ball OOB.

4-20-3 The free throw ends when the try is successful, when it is certain the try will not be successful, when the try touches the floor or any player, or when the ball becomes dead.

I'd call violation on B1, shooting again. (Double violations are a pain, avoid them if you can)
Am I missing something here?I'm not sure that I see your point.
This whole sitch is predicated on A1 missing the rim on his FT.If he does,it's a violation on A1-and it has to be called,making the sitch a double violation.The ball being above the rim doesn't mean a thing.Naturally,it does matter if the FT has hit the backboard or the rim before B1 steps in.If it has,then you don't have a B1 violation.But that's not the case in this sitch.All the official has to worry about is whether the shot was made or missed,and-if it was missed,did it hit the rim.If the FT was made,you ignore the B violation.If the FT was missed but hit the rim,you just award the substitute FT for the B violation.
Guessing isn't involved at all.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 20th, 2003 at 02:25 PM]