Thread: White Hats
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
When a decision is needed I'll explain the options to the captains while facing the captain's bench so the coach can hear our conversation. I'll also have the wing official relay the choices to the coach. I'll then ask the captain to look at his coach.

The coach will hear, "3rd and 14 or 4th and 3?"
Respect is a two way street, and I've found that sometimes the best friend you will find on a football field (outside your crewmates) is Team Captains. They have been selected for that position and by that selection have earned OUR respect.

NF:2-32-5-c designates the Captain as the team representative during, "Penalty decisions following a foul".

On non complicated or obvious options, after giving a preliminary signal towards the offended sideline, I explain options to the Captain in the simplest, clearest terms (like 3rd & 14 or 4th & 3). I give him a reasonable opportunity to think about it, which may include looking to his coach for guidance (who if he was paying attention knows what's going on because of my preliminary signal).

If he should make what I consider a bad choice, I'll assume I wasn't clear enough in my explanation and go over the options again, hopefully clearer. If he wants help or advice I'll allow him to look to his sideline for help, but I give him the respect he has earned to make the judgment.

When it's a complicated decision or situation, I'll steer the Captain to a place for my explanation that what I say can be overheard by his sideline. Again, the decision as to whether or not he needs, or wants, assistance in making the call is his to make by virtue of his being selected as Captain, not mine.

I've never had a problem with a coach hearing my explanations, when they needed to be heard, and will take as much time as needed until the Captain understands the options he's confronted with. I've found Captains, who have been treated with proper respect in front of their teammates and sideline, to be really helpful when situations start to turn brown and their assistance may be needed.

Last edited by ajmc; Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 09:44am.