View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

2008 NFHS Football Rules Page 90 POE section

MOTION
Legal motion at the snap is allowed by rule as an offensive maneuver. Only one offensive
player – either a back or a player on the end of the line, but no interior linemen – may be in
motion at the snap, and then, only if such motion is not toward his opponent’s goal line.
Except for the quarterback under the snapper, the player in motion who started from a
position not clearly behind the line of scrimmage and did not establish himself as a back by
stopping for at least one full second, must be at least 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage
at the snap. Either a player legally in the backfield or a player legally on the end of the line
of scrimmage may go in motion if these previous requirements are satisfied.
Illegal motion occurs whenever the quarterback steps forward placing his or her hands
under the snapper at the instant the snap is made. If the quarterback places his or her
hands under the snapper without stepping forward, it will be a shift and not motion. If the
quarterback steps forward and places their hands under the snapper and the snap is made
after they are motionless for one second, the action is legal. If the quarterback with his
hands under the snapper were to step backward with one foot as the snap is made, this
action would be legal provided no teammate is also moving at the snap. Illegal motion
occurs when any player in motion is moving toward the opponent’s goal line at the snap. It
is also illegal motion if an end goes in motion and is not at least 5-yards behind the line at
the snap unless he or she stops and positions himself or herself as a back for at least one
full second prior to the snap.
A player’s motion movement can be such that his or her head and body are facing the
sideline to which he or she is moving, or a sliding movement while he or she is facing the
opponent’s goal line, or the direction of his or her motion may change several times before
the snap. Illegal motion is always a live ball foul occurring at the snap resulting in a 5-yard
penalty from the previous spot.