View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

First, I want to thank everyone for adding their helpful comments to this discussion thread. I have learned a lot about the rules and how local interpretations can vary.

I did some more research and thought I would share it with everyone. Earlier this year, I picked up a book titled "Football Rule Differences 2010" by Whiteside, Demetriou and Stern. I am sure most of you have seen some version of this guide.

The discussion of Rule 7, paragraph 22 (page 169) deals with this exact question and offers additional insight. In the section dealing with NFHS it says, "Personal fouls against a passer that occur before it was obvious the pass was thrown are penalized as personal fouls and not roughing (2003 interp, Sit 3).

The next section on NCAA rules goes on to say, "Personal fouls against a passer that occur before it was obvious the pass was thrown are penalized as roughing (9-1-21 Ex, interp).

So it is interesting that officials in TX that use NCAA rules (I believe) are declining to call the OP as RTP and officials in IL that use NFHS are calling the same play as RTP. It leads to the acknowledgement that this issue is anything but clear cut and that an official's best judgement should be used. In the end, I feel there was justification for my call as RTP and I'll move on to the next challenging play.

Thanks again.