Thread: Ball hits Bat
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I noticed that myself and ran it back a few times on the DVR to make sure of what I saw.

Totally seemed like a fair ball point toward the infielded, mask in hand. He didn't make the signal until the catcher actually touched the ball (at which point it did become a fair ball), which was after the ball hit the bat.

Yeah, the play seemed to be pretty obviously over fair ground, but I couldn't fault an umpire for signalling fair here. There was the potential for the ball to be either foul or dead on this one a few different ways- if the ball had touched the batter, if the batter had interfered with the catcher, if the bat had hit the ball instead of the other way around, if the ball had rolled foul after hitting the bat or if the bat had been over foul ground when the ball touched it.

Since they were still in the relative vicinity of home plate, why not signal fair just so there's no question about it. Though in the back of my evil umpire mind, I was imagining all the different ways this play could have blown up and created a controversial end to a historic game!

Last edited by BretMan; Wed Oct 06, 2010 at 11:11pm.