View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 06, 2010, 06:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision (Helen Keller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I would tell the coaches, either before the pregame meeting or during the pregame meeting, just to see how that comes along.
Do it during the pregame meeting so that the captains are aware of it also.

We have a deaf official on our local board. He's a great guy, and an excellent official. I have had the pleasure of working with him many times. Because I don't sign, the toughest part is our pregame officials conference. After that it's a breeze, with me coming out of each game a better official because I tend to work on my signals and eye contact with my partner.

He always has me tell the coaches and captains in the pregame conference that he's hearing impaired. I always finish the meeting telling the coaches to be sure to direct any yelling that they may do in the game to my partner rather than me. My partner knows that I always say this and follows up with a "yes" nod to both coaches and by pointing to his chest.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)