View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Bfair

Originally posted by PeteBooth in his first post[/i]
75 ft. or 90 ft. bases where the BU is INSIDE the diamond. In this instance it's the BU's call right or wrong, because the BU is "right there" [my emphasis] and to overturn his /her call or make the call FOR THEM can make for a LONG game the rest of the way.

Pete, this certainly appears to me that you are saying that this call belongs to the BU.

Steve, let me clarify speaking for the BU INSIDE the diamond.

First and foremost, interference on a batted ball when BU is "right there" is THEIR call. This is no dfferent then a steal attempt by R1 when BU is in "B" or "C". Is the PU going to make that call?

If it's a DP situation, meaning R1 No outs, then it's the PU's call for interference on the part of R1 since the BU is going to pivot after making the out call at second and getting ready for the banger at first, but in the situation described, R1/R2 the BU should have been in "C", therefore, all he had to do was turn watch the ball and would have been right there for the call.

If initially, the BU says nothing, and the PU KNOWS for certain that there was interference, then the PU can step in and call it Emphatically, which if this is what happened, the coaches would not have been upset as they were.

IMO, the coach was upset because:

1. First there was no Call by ANYONE. AND

2. The Umpires conferred and THE BU who did not even make a call all of a sudden makes an interference call.

If I'm working with a familiar partner, and HE / SHE didn't call interference on this play, I would NOT have called it because I would trust THEIR judgement. I would ask them about the play during the POST game.

Even if you are working with a "rookie", one has to learn. If we start making calls that belong to our partners, it can make for a long game. Also, the coaches will want EVERY call made by this other person questioned.

Pete Booth