View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

roughing the kicker

I've just started getting white hat assignments on the JV level and I had a play yesterday I wanted to see if I got right.

Obvious punt formation. Punter drops the snap, bobbles it a bit while picking it up, takes 2 steps to his right and then tries to kick on the move. The defensive end coming from the punter's left at this point is not going for a block but going for the tackle. Commits to the tackle. The punt and tackle happen almost simultaneously.

I held my flag. I said that the punt was no longer obvious when the snap was dropped and the punter started to move. Mind you the punter never made it outside the tackle box but he was panicked and moving unlike a punter would to kick.

The punt went a whole 3 yards past the LOS because of all this action and was recovered by R giving them great field position.

I hope that was right in passing on this. I look at the rule 9-1-4a and feel I'm right as the punt was no longer obvious because of the fumble/ensuing action but I look at 9-1-4a-5 and I just get concerned about the fact he was still in the tackle box area.

thoughts?