View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 02:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
You must have grown up in my neighborhood!
Or you are just old enough where you avoided a lot of that stuff like I did. When I was in 7th grade that was the first year we had organized tackle football in my little town.

Do not get me wrong there were leagues we could play, but not at the level that we you see today. Kids play a lot of these sports younger and play on teams that play other communities. My football league was made up of players in the same school. Four teams split up of kids that all knew each other. Now there is more of an "us against them" mentality in all these sports with Pop Warner, AAU, and travel ball in all these sports and these things are being used as a stepping stone to get scholarships and other opportunities to influence the high schools and even college programs. It is just sad that kids have so many things to do with these leagues they cannot just go play somewhere and solve their own problems and even create their own rules. We used to argue about rules all the time and it helped you grow and find ways to have reasonable conflict resolution. And instead of the adults just letting the kids play, adults have to solve all the problems. And there is no wonder when these kids get to college or become adults they cannot deal with a little bit of conflict and jump off of buildings as no one has prepared them to defend themselves or deal with conflict.

Peace