View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Another Momentum Rule questions

I have two questions that relate to the momentum rule (NFHS rules).

Situation 1: B1 intercepts a pass at B's 3-yard line, and his momentum carries him into B's end zone. While in the end zone, B1 fumbles the ball back out across the goal line and into the field of play where it is (a) recovered by A1 on B's 5-yard line; or (b) is muffed by A1 out of bounds at B's 5-yard line; or (c) is muffed by A1 back into the end zone where the ball subsequently goes out of bounds; or (d) goes out of bounds at B's 5-yard line untouched by any player.

My thoughts:
(a) A's ball, 1st and 10 at B's 5-yard line
(b) Not sure. A1 never gained possession. So would the momentum rule still apply, or would this work like any other forward fumble out of bounds by the team in possession?
(c) If the fumble never touched the ground and was muffed in-flight by A1, then the original force would still be B1's momentum. You can't add new force to a ball in flight.
But what if B1's fumble bounced on the ground before being muffed by A1? Would it matter where the fumbled ball hit the ground: behind the goal line vs. in the field of play?
(d) Similar to (b). Would the momentum rule still apply, or would this be treated like a forward fumble out of bounds by the team in possession?

-------------------------------

Situation 2: B1 intercepts a pass at B's 3-yard line, and his momentum carries him into B's end zone. While in the end zone, B1 circles around and attempts to run back out of the end zone and into the field of play. Just before reaching the goal line B1 trips and lands prone with the majority of his body still in the end zone, and the ball still held in his outstretched arms. The ball lands such that (a) the entire ball is beyond the goal line and in the field of play; or (b) the foremost point of the ball is in the field of play and the rearmost point of the ball is still in the end zone; or (c) the foremost point of the ball is touching the goal line but has not gone beyond the edge of the goal line closest to the field of play.

My thoughts:
  • (a) The ball has left the end zone. Momentum rule canceled. B's ball, 1st and 10 at the foremost point of the ball.
  • (b) I think if any part of the ball is over the goal line plane (i.e. the edge of the goal line closest to the field of play) then the ball is in the end zone. Since the ball never left the end zone, the momentum rule applies and it will be B's ball, 1st and 10 at B's 3-yard line (the spot of the interception).
  • (c) Same explanation as in (b).

My reason for bringing up Situation 2 is just to clarify that the goal line plane, for purposes of being in or out of the end zone, is the same regardless of which direction the ball is going.

---------------------------------

Thanks in advance for letting me pick your brains.