Thread: Backward pass
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 11:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
What if an official throws a bag on a fumble and another official has the runner down? That's more likely and it happens from time to time.
That happens because guys are so quick to get on the whistle. The play is already dead and if you are not sure you should be ruling anything if the ball is lose. Usually solves that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
If a wing punches back and another official calls the pass incomplete, than shame on the other official who isn't paying attention. The wing on the side where the pass is thrown (usually) gets to decide whether it's a forward or backward pass. If he punches, it's backwards and the other officials should adjust, no matter what they think.

We *always* punch back in this situation. It immediately alerts *everyone* that the pass is backwards. It's just as important when the pass is caught. A punch back lets everyone know that A could still pass the ball. And, it shows up on film, too.
My crew does not punch. We have decided it is really causes more problems than it is worth. The calling official is going to make the decision. If the ball is dead they will hit the whistle. IF the whistle is not blown, the non-calling officials should not be blowing the whistle anyway. Trust your partners to do their job; I do not need to pay attention to them to know to keep officiating. But that is me and what we do. No real right or wrong here, I just am not a fan of the blowing the whistle on plays you are not involved in. Then again we end many plays where there is no whistle.

Peace