View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 28, 2010, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegenref View Post
I had a game last night where a wide receiver (on the line) started moving before the snap and actually crossed the line of scrimmage before the ball was snapped. I blew my whistle, threw my flag, and signalled the white hat that I had a false start. We went ahead and enforced it, but at halftime we talked about it some more. He told me I called it correctly, but he said if the receiver had not crossed the LOS, it would've been a live ball foul for illegal motion / shift and that case I should throw the flag but not kill the play by blowing my whistle. The Umpire told me that only interior linemen can false start.

So what is the difference between a false start, illegal motion, and illegal shift for wideouts and / or those in the backfield?
Define "started moving". Simulating the beginning of the play is a false start and should be flagged and whistled immediately. Merely moving forward (or starting to lean slowly forward) is just motion, and can still be corrected before the snap, so should NOT be whistled.

Generally, IM is 2 guys or moving forward at the snap. IS is not being set long enough. (Generally).

West Houston Mike