View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 27, 2010, 10:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
The problem is (IMO) that too many people in general think that anytime someone even grabs at or near the collar (pads or jeresy), that it instantly qualifies as a HC.

Had a QB duck to avoid a sack late last year. Defensive player on the ground grabbed the QB up near the letters by the collar and pulled the QB (crouched forward) onto his knees and down the ground facing forward. Coach came unglued figuring this was an "easy horse collar" and asked how and why we didn't call it. Coach was eventually issued a UC for his antics. The AD (who I know well) asked me what took place a few days later. Mentioned what happened and forwarded the verbage on the HC, including case book references to him, in the email...and he in-turn to the coach. Got a personal apology from said coach early this year.

My exact reasoning for why I think all head coaches at every level, need to attend rules meeting annually. Would take care of alot of issues...IMO.

For the record....I attend the same meetings that RichMSN does here in WI and was told the same thing.
Thanks.

BTW, if there's any doubt whatsoever on whether the collar was involved or not, the flag stays in the waistband. To me, this aspect is no different than a face mask or any other foul. If we don't see it, it's not a foul. I had a coach screaming for a horsecollar foul a few weeks ago -- it was the QB so I was following right behind -- and the defender grabbed the shirt just above the numbers, but never got the hand inside. Easy for me to see, but not as easy for the coach who was across the field. I sent a message over to the coach through the wing, but I'm not sure the coach bought it. Too bad.