View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 26, 2010, 04:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
What you posted is exactly what I paraphrased in my post that you quoted.
I posted this to give the exact wording. My point was that you have said in the past that it did not matter if the player fell forward, which I believe was the point Tony was making. And you said that the rule does not say anything about a player going forward, but almost all their literature says otherwise. If you look at the NF PowerPoint this year and the clarification of the new wording, every example shows a runner/opponent going backwards. And this casebook clearly says that a player going forward is not a foul.

I also think what the coach was told might have been technically wrong, but realistically right. I have not seen a successful horse collar without them grabbing the pads. If a player only grabs the jersey that might be difficult to accomplish the horse collar. And unless you saw the play in question the coach was referring to, it might be a little difficult to know why the official did not make a call. This is why I said I tend to not trust the words of a coach. Coaches have agendas and it sounds like he was trying to split hairs over what he was told so that you would not call the foul. I cannot say based on your OP that the official was trying to dodge not calling a foul. Maybe you know the individuals involved which might change the way this is perceived, but that does not mean what they told the coach was completely wrong either.

Peace