View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 01:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The result of the play is a safety without a penalty. So you tell the team if they do not want a safety then accept the penalty. And based on the overall situation in the game that might not be something we should automatically assume.

Peace
I *frequently* enforce penalties without explaining all the options to the captains/coaches. This would be one of those times.

I had a funny situation where we had a flag from the LJ and I was over at the sideline getting the info -- I turned to the coach and said, "Declined, right?" (as doing so would yield a 4th and 8) and he was confused for a minute and said, "aren't you going to ask my captain" and I said, "Why, you and I are right here." He laughed. Anything complex or complicated or when I'm in the coach's lap goes through the coaches. I don't believe in letting a captain screw up penalty enforcement for us (or the coin toss, for that matter).

Getting back to the topic -- asking A whether they'd want the safety against them (to me) is a not-very-bright move by a white hat.