View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Pete: --75 ft, BU, inside.
--Even though BU "right there", he didnt get in position in time, to SEE the play. Its not like he saw it, had nothing, then through the appeal, I changed it. I didnt "change" anything. I made a call on what I saw. Just like in the check swing example I gave. IF a BU overturns a ball call I make on a check swing, to a "yes, he went", isnt he "overturning my call"? Yes, because he was appealed to. Im not hung out to dry on that one. So there is not right or wrong as you say, as he didnt see the play in time. If hes guilty of something, its he didnt hustle quick enough, or whatever happenned. After defensive coach talked to my BU, my BU came to me, calmly said he didnt see the play, and asked my what I had. I told him I had interference. Clear cut. Slam dunk. Hes not hung out to dry. Like I said on this too, if I "back my partner" and call nothing, then were STILL going to have a coach with a fit. It was that clear cut. Its not like it was a marginal play. Say for example, a BR rounding third and missing the base by a nano-inch. No, he missed it by a foot. So I didnt
"overturn" it. If he had called interference , and I said change it, or if he had called no interference and I changed it. THATS overturning. But since he missed the play, we want to get it right. Some umpires need to swallow their ego.
--Yes, I should have made the call, but as he was going back to his position, he made it, he had no problem with it. We never had a problem with the situation you describe of hanging out to dry.
--Thats not the reason the coach went "ballistic". He was very upset thinking the defensive coach was influencing us by having my BU see what I had. Which wasnt the case. He wasnt tossed until a couiple innings later when he made consective comments about that. First time he was warned, 2nd ime, my BU tossed him. The offensive coach never really argued the interference call, which tells me, that what HE saw also. The only refrence he made to the play was he turned to the dugout and asked his runner if he touched the fielder. That was about it from the offensive coach on the actual play. That tells me he saw what I saw.
--My BU wanted to make the call. Coaches had NO PROBLEM with that. I think youve had a bad experience or two, that makes you think its applied here. Not the case. No one was hung.