View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 09:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaltice View Post
I start about 12 yards back and just outside the tackle. You are right Two Flakes, I took extra time to get the number and I probably was stationary. Wider is nice and would have helped with this play, but you are well behind the opposite sideline coverage (for 5 man).

Still, I think I will try and go a bit wider and deeper and see how that feels. I will also keep moving as the QB is moving.

Good points and thanks for the comments. I knew that I had screwed up, but was not sure the best way to fix it.
I try not to get too wide, as I still feel in 5 man I need to be able to help on the other side of the field (and need to be able to follow the passer there if that's the direction of the rollout). I line up just outside the tackle and position my body in the direction of the opposite side tackle (who I key on at the snap).

I think *deeper* is key. I don't think 12 yards is deep enough. The only people I run into saying that I should be closer to the LOS are old-timers who haven't really adapted to modern mechanics.

Maybe in a youth/freshman game I might be closer to 12 yards deep than 15, but probably not.