Thread: Fpsr??
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
The manual hasn't changed cookie. But the example you cite is a ground ball to 3rd base. In that instance, I think the manual has PU initially moving towards 3rd because he also has a potential fair/foul call (and maybe a dead ball if F5 kicks it away) on the 3B side.

The manual also states PU has secondary responsibility for a swipe tag/pulled foot at 1B. On a ground ball anywhere other than to 3rd, there is no reason for PU to head up the 3rd base side of the mound.

I know the manual says PU heads up the 3B side of the mound "to assist U1 on the slide at second base," but it seems to me that PU would have a much better angle on that slide (at least the "directly to the base" part of it) from the 1B side of the mound.

Unfortunately, the manual doesn't discuss a DP ground ball to F5 or F4. It also doesn't discuss one to F3, although I can't imagine it would send PU up the 3B side on that one.

The manual shows the PU umpire going up 3rd base side of the mound for a reason. Its probably the best place to be, no matter where the ball is hit. Yes, you can have potential swipe/pulled foot at first, but much greater chance of FPSR at 2nd. And if you hustle out when the ball is hit, you can get a good view of the play at 2nd. And of course any follow-up at 3rd, PU is right there.
Yes, your not going to get more than a couple steps for a look at first, but again, your primary responsibility is FPSR. Then get what you can at first.
Plus if things blow up at first, you may end up having a good look from where you are.
Also, if your going up the first base side, your overloading that side of the field.
Two-man is playing the percentages, and your much more likely to have issues with FPSR than you are swipe/pulled...