View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC
Many times in high school volleyball, there are times where a setter may not have the best hands and he/she dishes out questionable sets. Either they look like lifts or double contacts. When this player sets the ball and it looks like it is not a clean set, it usually brings the crowd to yell such things as "AHHHHH!", "EEEWWWW!!, "NOOOOOO!!" or some kind of sound that would indicate that they did not see the set as clean and should be called illegal. Sometimes the ref may call a violation, some times they wont.

Heres the situation.

Setter from Team A sets the ball. The setter from team B, while on the court screams "NO!" after the set. He doesn't scream it directly through the net at anyone. He just says it loud after every set that looks very questionable. After about 5 or 6 times, the ref calls the setter from team B over and tells him that he cannot yell NO after every set. Referee states to him that because he is yelling NO, he is questioning the referees judgement. Play resumes and the setter from team B yells NO after another set by team A. The ref whistles the play dead even before the ball is terminated and issues a red card to the setter on team B for yelling NO.

In situations like this, do the referees have any limitations? Can the referee tell the setter not to yell NO after every set? Can he deem the situation, if setter B yelling NO after a set, a sign of disrespect towards him? I know that the refs ruling is basically final, but in the NFSHSA rule book, i cant find where this is a violation. Maybe i overlooked it. Anyone with thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks