Thread: Hurdling
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
The reason he cleared him is the same as the reason I think this was not a foul. He did not lead with the knees or feet. His legs were spread. If they hadn't been, he would definitely have kneed this guy in the helmet - he didn't jump literally 6 feet up. He spread his legs and went over the defender as if dunking a ball, and then kept running.
I suppose it depends on your definition of "foremost". Does foremost assume "downfield"? Is foremost simply in any direction from the player parallel to the ground? Is foremost assume in the direction that the player is running/moving? If so, is it possible to hurdle if you just jump straight up and come straight back down? If foremost does mean downfield, then is it possible to hurdle if you're running towards your own goal line? Remember, it doesn't HAVE to be the runner. It's any player or non-player.

I'm not saying it was or wasn't. These are just some things that came to me as I was thinking about the situation where a player does a spread eagle like in the play you're talking about.