View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
No, I'm not a coach, never have been, can't stand them.

But I do firmly believe that if an official can't tell me who was holding, blocked in the back, or committed pass interference, that he may have guessed he saw a foul based on seeing half a play, the coaches or fans reactions, or his own anticipation.

You tell me why an official should be excused from getting a number?

I've never heard an official with a mic say, "Holding, someone on white, 10 yards," because officials as you move up the ladder, get numbers. I want my crew to get numbers.
I think you're a little firmer than you need to be here. HL and LJ are not always going to get the number of a lineman that grabs the defender and throws him straight down - unless the player turns or has numbers on his arms. Facemasks often happen in piles. Even lined up in the neutral zone or moved into the neutral zone - I know I've told coaches more than once - "Coach it was your nozeguard" "You didn't get a number?!?!" "No - it was the noseguard in the NZ early - but as soon as the play started I lost him in the crowd.

Comparing us to NCAA or pros is not valid - especially NFL. They have FAR fewer teams and numbers to deal with, and often not only know the number of the players but the names as well - BEFORE the game starts. If I get the same team twice in a season, it's a rarity.

West Houston Mike