Thread: First White Hat
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 14, 2010, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Main mistakes I see with new white hats:

1. Getting too close to LOS. 12 yards is about as close as you want to be. Your state may have specific mechanics for scrimmage kicks, you should know what they are.

2. Going too fast or moving when you signal. Set your feet before you signal (RFP and penalty). Give your penalty signals to the pressbox in slow motion.

3. About the only time you have the spot is on a sack. So stay back. You can help relay the ball in on short runs that end in the side zone or spot the ball on long incompletes (when your U goes to relay the ball in). Otherwise, stay back and deadball officiate.

4. I would prepare a pregame. We usually only give pregames for Varsity games (and I spend a little time talking to younger officials). But having a pregame prepared helps you understand what you and your crew will be doing in certain situations. Especially know what to do on penalty enforcements and measurement (all eyes on you for these situations).

5. Go ahead and prepare what you are going to tell the coaches in the pregame meeting and the captains at the coin toss. I also would go get at least a 50c coin for the toss.

6. Make sure you have an official that is assigned to watch the game clock when your back is to it (usually U).