View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Well, I will just throw this out there a year early. Hopefully it will not happen ever again, but there is always the possibility of another strike before the 2012 season. If it comes to that again, hopefully nobody will work those games this time and let the umpires and management come to an agreement.

Many in management and administrators think we are just a necessary evil and any warm body off the street can efficiently do the job at both the amateur and MiLB level. Many amateur umpires work very hard, yet do not get the respect they deserve, for their umpiring abilities. Let them take unemployed people off the street to umpire the games the next time a strike happens. Or, at best, let them take a couple of first year umpires who have just gone to a few first year umpire meetings and let them have at it, since management thinks it takes nothing to umpire. Let them figure out they should respect umpires at all levels, both amateur and professional.

And yes JWW, I will readily acknowledge there were former MiLB guys who crossed the line also.
I was not talking about former guys that crossed the line. I was talking about AMLU guys who went and worked other baseball games thus knocking guys out of their assignments. But, what about the striking MiLB guy that takes a warehouse job? That knocks someone else out, also.

If they choose to walk away from their jobs-I say go for it, if they can get more money and benefits, then good for them. But, they are not the good guys just because they proclaim that they are. They are just guys that want more money. The owners of these teams are not bad guys because the AMLU says they are. The owners are guys that do not want to spend more money...they want to spend less money. That is how you run a successful business.

The guys know the pay and tough schedule before they signed up. If they thought the pay was too low, go do something else or strike and see if you can win. But, stop the garbage that anyone owes them anything just because they took a job they think should pay them more.