View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
UTT be a little careful . . . here in Portland last summer we had one of our better college umpires work more than 25 games in the PCL . . . and that's AAA level baseball.

I also know of a few guys that post here that are in towns with AA teams and they have also been asked to fill in.

I filled in in the California Long A in the '80s and did 25 games.

ALTHOUGH Washburn shows his true colors and admits to scabbing games in his latest post.

T
And he might get another chance in 2012. Better keep his gear warm.

Rather than figure out how to get on the "fill in list" (by being an exceptional local amateur umpire) to work games when umpires are sick or injured in the leagues in their area, many choose to take advantage of a situation that should be taken care of by the umpires and their employer without interference. They can use players and coaches and managers to work the games while the umpires and management negotiate a settlement that is fair to both sides or just wait for a settlement period.

The poor MiLB guys make (per their website) $85-$110 per game in AAA, 75-85 in AA, and 65-75 in A ball and 60-65 in short A.
The major D1 Conferences pay $350 for a Conference game, a car for the CC, plus free room and 50 per diem for meals and free airfare if you live over the driving mileage limit.

Since JWW is the greatest thing since sliced bread and everyone else is terrible, I have trouble wondering why he has any trouble getting the absolute highest level of amateur baseball, with a schedule of the top amateur games all over this country where he can continually showcase all his knowledge and expertise as an amateur umpire. With the greatest amateur schedule with the highest level of amateur ball around, I just don't understand how he has time to fit in any other games whatsoever, no matter the level involved.

Last edited by tballump; Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 07:44pm.