View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your opinions Ump 25

I appreciate knowing you at least read my posts!

First, the man is a great umpire. He's in the Show, and when I tried to get there, I did not make it. Unless #25 is your MLB or AAA MiLB number, I really think you need to assume he is a great umpire to even get to the show.

If he's incompetent on the MLB level, maybe, maybe not. But he is a great umpire to be there on that level, whatever we think of his ability.

I am trying to understand where the definition of "physically assisting the runner" has become a judgment call. When I look at the play: The runner is making a turn like he is trying to score, he very much overruns the bag (because he is trying to score), and he barely gets back in front of the tag. Correct?

In the middle of all that the 3B coach has some kind of contact with him, either light or almost none. Correct?

If any part of these items are correct, then why is the 3B coach and the runner getting such a wide leeway for not violating the rule? Any touch at all would be more than enough help to the runner that he had better get back to 3B; obviously he knows it's not a given he's safe at home. Add touch with voice from the 3B coach, and it just seems to me to be a clear rule violation.

When your wife or significant other goes by you and gently taps you on the shoulder, do you not notice and respond? Of course you do. If the 3B coach is yelling STOP STOP STOP, or BACK BACK BACK, and gently makes contact with the runner, you are going to tell me that the 3B coach is not assisting the runner physically to listen to his instructions?

IMO, you folks are parsing the rule like a lawyer who wants everything to be a shade of gray to save his client. The rule is black and white here, and unless you think there was no contact, there has to be an out.

Good call, great thread and conversation .

Last edited by jkumpire; Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 10:46am. Reason: threw in a compliment