View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 06, 2010, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Are you saying that in Minn. someone has instructed officials to give signals for the clock operator that are contradictory as far as everybody on the field is concerned, just so the clock operator and others concerned will keep in mind that a "wind" command is "in the pocket" while awaiting RFP when a new series is awarded? Couldn't you use some other signal than one that's supposed to mean "run the clock now"?

On the Minnesota officials website, they gave an example of an official winding the clock before stopping it after a first down. They told us not to do it anymore. I don't exactly know their reasoning, so I was asking any MN official "in the know" if we should or shouldn't wind the clock in the side zone where forward progress is established inbounds before being taken out of bounds behind progress spot. If we give no signal the clock should still run, however I believe it's a good communication tool to wind the clock in this situation. That is only my opinion. I can see both sides of the argument and was just wondering which they want us to do since this situation wasn't specifically covered.