View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 06, 2010, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
My opinion was that There wasn't any physical assistance. 3B ump came in pointing at the coach and made a pushing motion to explain the call. There certainly wasn't a push involved. The other issue is the Michael Young had already thrown on the breaks and to me it looked like the contact was merely a result of Young stopping and turning back to third combined with the coach putting his hand out cause he was about to get steamrolled.

That said those are all opinions biased by my love of the Rangers. What I think we could argue that is more facually based is the number of articles with quotes attributed to umps, coaches, players, etc that have said some version of "no contact at all, that's the rule". We all know that isn't the rule. If in the argument that followed the play any umpire said anything to the effect of "all that matters is contact", one could argue very strongly that an appeal is in order.

As a Rangers fan, would I love to see the game completed from that point? Sure I would. Knowing they're 8 games up, the cost of flying the team back to Minnesota for potentially 1 out, and the attention it would call to the umpires who bust their hump and have already taken a ton of flack this season, do I want an appeal? Absolutely not. But it does highlight the critical element of most appeals...if they had said judgement call and left it at that all is well. Explain something beyond that, you have to know the wording of the rule not just the intent.