View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 06, 2010, 12:23am
Is this a legal title?

watch the clip closely from :20 to :23. Marquez was not "on top of it"; he wasn't even looking squarely at the "infraction" when the touch happened (assuming it did; it wasn't clear). It appeared to me he ruled in accordance with a preconceived notion of what was about to happen. His immediate strong call notwithstanding, he did not have a good look at the play. My experience with partners has been that immediate and strong calls are as much a function of ego as they are of certainty.

I'm not saying he was wrong; it's an umpire's judgment call. He at best appeared to exhibit poor judgment.

I was taught to make the call if (i.e., "physically assist" means) the contact "enhanced or inhibited" the runner's momentum in advancing or returning. That certainly didn't occur on this play.

Tie game, bottom of 9th, 0 outs, R3: batter hits fly ball over the head of drawn-in outfield and ball lands safely fair on the warning track. R3 "high-fives" 3b coach before trotting home. If a touch is inherently illegal, Marquez has an out on this play. I sure don't.