View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

With no play being made on Morgan, that shoots down 7.09e for me, and the other rule specifically names the 1st and 3rd base coaches. It would have been just as easy to use the term any offensive team member. I dont think you can include players (unless they are coaching third or first of course) in this rule since it is so specific. Also in regards to 7.09e had there been a throw coming in from the first baseman I still would not consider this as hindering or impeding the defense. Rodriguez would have got the same result (maybe not as quickly) if he had just screamed/yelled and pointed for Morgan to go back. There is a difference in physical and verbal but in this case it would have the same effect on the ability of the defense to make the play. I think we would be reading a lot into the written rule to enforce either situation.

I also have seen players on the base paths who physically pushed, and even put up a hand(touching him) to stop a retreating runner and didnt have a problem with it.

Just my opinion at this late hour of the night.........
We shall see if MLB says anything on the issue.......

Last edited by umpjong; Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 02:53am.