View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 06:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Have Ladder, Will Travel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Does the state of Connecticut require you to be IAABO or just register through the Fed.
Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state. Each local (county) board has its own assigning commissioner. If you're playing a scholastic game, you're going to have an IAABO official.

We, as individuals are not required to join the NFHS. As an IAABO member we get a book that contains the NFHS rulebook, the NFHS casebook, and the IAABO mechanics manual, so I'm assuming that IAABO pays some type of fee to the NFHS to use their publications.

Interesting note. It's actually very difficult to join the NFHS as a basketball official in Connecticut. Our state interscholastic sports governing body (CIAC) has some type of "all or nothing" agreement with the NFHS that all members of an officials group, let's just say, for example, lacrosse officials, must join the NFHS as a group, or none can join. Since all basketball officials are IAABO, we belong to IAABO, not the NFHS, so we can't join the NFHS, even as individuals.

I wanted access to the NFHS online rulebook so a friend in the state office put my name in with the volleyball officials, which allowed me to join the NFHS. I send a check to the state office every August.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 06:44pm.