View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I officiate in New Jersey (an IAABO state) and Pennsylvania (non IAABO).

New Jersey
Prospective officials must attend a cadet class (about 10 sessions) with an approved chapter (almost all are IAABO) and pass the national IAABO test with a score of 86 or better. My local chapter administers a floor test for those who pass the written test and then decides who is accepted into the chapter and therefore receives state certification.

New officials spend one year as cadets, and 2 years as provisional officials. Varsity status is at the discretion of the chapter board and usually does not occur before 5 years although exceptions are made and the time frame varies in both directions.

IAABO chapters generally provide reciprocity for IAABO officials from other chapters including those from other states. If you are not an IAABO member, you must attend the cadet class and pass the IAABO test for state certification.

Pennsylvania

To become certified official:
1. Receive a score of 75 or better on national NFHS test (about half of the test takers fail)
2. Affiliate with an approved chapter (most are not IAABO)
3. Complete background check

Pennsylvania provides reciprocity and a waiver of testing requirements for officials who provide documentation that they are currently certified in another state.

For the past 3 years, my chapter has offered 10 session rules schools in the fall and spring. I have only come across a couple of chapters statewide that do likewise.

A plus for New Jersey/IAABO is that all new officials are required to take an extensive rules study class before becoming certified to officiate. In PA, if you can receive certification to officiate without training. The result is that the quality of officials is less consistent. The best officials in PA are as accomplished as those in Jersey. However, in PA you are more likely to encounter officials not as well grounded in rule and mechanics fundamentals. Both NJ and PA have an extensive choice of camps which help to even things out.