Thread: Foul or Out?
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigoP View Post
No I can't which is confusing to me too. The original post was a fed question. If a batter hits the ball in fair ground somewhere in front of the plate and comes out of the box running to 1st with 1 foot out of box and has contact is it foul or fair. If 1 foot is out of box and on the ground and the runner contacts ball she is out. She has been hit by a batted ball before it passed a fielder. Out.
Well, you've made progress in admitting you're confused. Now you just need to go further and realize that everyone else is not confused so you've got to make the extra effort to understand if you don't want to seem like a troll. [I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, though I agree with others that the evidence is pretty significant against you.] The rule states that a batter out of the box is out if she contacts a ball. The only question is what constitutes out of the box. You've cited a different rule which talks about how one has to be in the box to take a pitch and how one can be called out for hitting the ball if one foot is outside the box on the ground.
You extrapolate from that the definition of outside the box is to have one foot outside the box.
Others point out that the extrapolation you make isn't supported by rule or case book play. Many people enforce it that way and it's reasonable but it's not supported by rule. Others take different extrapolations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigoP View Post
I think what the original question refered to is do both feet have to be out of box to be considered out of box. You've seen the rule cites from NFHS book I cited determining what constitute out of box. 1 foot out is out of box. I've asked repeatedly for a rule to the opposite but can't get one. I think they think I'm wrong because they say so.
No one is suggesting that what you are saying is contravened by rule. They are saying it isn't supported by rule. Since they don't contend there is such a rule, you asking for it makes you seem trollish or dumb. To recap the argument as it plays out to the disinterested third party:

You: This other rule defines being in the box and out of the box as it relates to batting.
Them: Yes, but this is a different rule that doesn't pick up that definition.
You: Show me a rule that says I'm wrong, here is the rule I mentioned. Why don't you all read the rules?
Them: Yes, that is a different rule and that doesn't apply to this rule.
You: Show me a rule that says I'm wrong, here is the rule I mentioned. Why don't you all read the rules? You obviously all hate the rule book.

And with that I will withdraw from the discussion. You can learn and change or I'll put you on ignore like everybody else already has.
________
Water Bongs

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:31pm.