View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 06:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

In a regional game, I don't remember the teams, with a runner on first, a ground ball was hit to the infield. The runner was forced at second and the throw to first went out of play. They awarded the batter - runner third base. WHY?? One of the other five umps should have corrected this. On another play, did you see the first base ump emphatically call the runner out as the ball sailed past the fielder? Extremely bad timing. A batter was walked on ball three. Routine calls badly missed. The list goes on. Have you not been watching? We have to live this down because we are all "Brothers in Blue" and what they do reflects on all of us. These are not just opinion.
I've read the account of the umpire working first (who actually should've known the location of the BR TOT, since he would've watched the release from F4 to read the throw before focusing on the call at first). Being on TV keeps a lot of people from stepping up, I think.

Truth is, an award of third on this play should be so rare that eyebrows should've immediately raised when the award was made.

Enough bashing. Time to start work for the day. First FB game tonight.