Thread: Foul or Out?
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigoP View Post
The question was if she has one foot out of box and contacts batted ball is it foul or fair. NFHS says 1 foot out of box is out of box, not both feet but just 1. If that foot is completely out of box and made contact with ground out of box, and she runs into the live ball she's out.
If anyone decides to show us a rule to the contrary I'd look at it and reconsider my call.
First, regarding reading... you were not asking people to CITE the rules. We all ask each other to show us the specific wording of a particular rule from time to time. You, however, were telling people to READ the rules - strongly implying that you didn't think they had. I assure you that we have, which is why you were being an 'azz' when you told us to read them.

Regarding your "rule" above. You tell us to cite rules, but then you go and mis-paraphrase one to make your point. The rule does NOT NOT NOT say what you said above.

NFHS does NOT say "1 foot out of box is out of box." NFHS says that if you hit a pitch while 1 foot is completely outside the batter's box, you are out. There is no hint or implication that this is meant to be applied to a live batted ball at all. The rule you mention is ENTIRELY about striking a pitched ball.

The problem with the rules as written and why this situation is not clear is that the rule says "if you are out of the box and are hit by a live ball you are guilty of interference", but then does not define "out of the box". The fact that the rules are unclear is not opinion, but fact. It is unclear and THAT is why you are hearing opinions regarding this situation.

While your opinion may be right (I don't think you are, but others do), the fact that the rule does not state that you are right makes your "interpretation" merely an opinion as well. You're referring to a rule that does NOT apply to the situation at hand and extrapolating that.... doing so is an OPINION.

West Houston Mike