Thread: Foul or Out?
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigoP View Post
Am I an azz because I ask someone to tell me where the rules differences are people keep talking about? Or is it because they're aren't any. This could be cleared up quickly if someone would cite rules with their opinions. Lots of opinions but no facts.
Who you know or how long has no bearing on the rules. Maybe that's why the WCWS had such issues with illegal pitches this year. Umpires wouldn't call the illegal pitch so NCAA had to draw a chute to emphasize to umps they want the rules called, not opinions. They wanted consistency. They wanted the rule called because it's a rule. Seems all the umps had different opinions on the illegal pitch rule. I think the chute(which is embarassing for umpires) was telling umpires to call the rule to level the playing field. Pitchers knew different umpires opinions on the rule and many used it to their advantage. I can't blame them if umps let them do it in spite of the rule. It's unfortunate that the NCAA had to step in and make umps enforce a rule, but I think they made their point. Lots of pitcher's were affected by this, in the world series no less, because opinions were being called and not the rule.
If you choose to see me as an azz or arrogant that's your choice, but please don't try to intimidate me with opinions. Intimidate me with rules.
You all say I'm wrong on this and it is possible I am. Until you can show me different in the rules, then your opinionating. But the NCAA seems to have told umps call the rules as in the book not what you think.
As far as what's in print, you'll find in the NCAA, NFHS books it is clearly in print.
The original post had a girl hit the ball fair somewhere in front of plate. The question was if she has one foot out of box and contacts batted ball is it foul or fair. NFHS says 1 foot out of box is out of box, not both feet but just 1. If that foot is completely out of box and made contact with ground out of box, and she runs into the live ball she's out.
If anyone decides to show us a rule to the contrary I'd look at it and reconsider my call. If all you have are opinions and who you know you're not helping anyone learn.
The college umps went on what all their partners were calling and got slapped down, at the expense of the pitchers.
I'm not asking you to read the rules because I think you don't. I'm asking you to cite those rules in your opinions.
Trust but verify.
Not only an azz, but an incredibly wordy one. I'm done.